So this evening I attempted to make gingerbread Christmas cookies, they were sort of a success maybe a little bit too much ginger and they don’t crunch like biscuits but they’re still yummy.
So this was what they looked like before they went into the oven, I cooked them for 20 minutes, times can vary.
And this was the finishing product, I’m not the best person when it comes to decorating baked goodies but I did try to and either way they’re going to get eaten whether they look good or not.
For anyone that would like to make gingerbread cookies the ingredients are:
- 350g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 5 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 175g light brown soft sugar
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 medium egg
And the method is:
- Preheat oven to 180c/ Gas 4
- Put the flour, butter, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. Mix it all together with fingertips until crumbly. Add the sugar, syrup and egg and mix until it forms a firm pastry mix.
- Using a rolling-pin, roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick. Make sure the surface and the rolling pin are well dusted with flour. Use gingerbread men cutters to cut out the shapes.
- Place the cut out pastry on a greased or non-stick baking tray
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, about 15 minutes, check after 10 minutes. Gingerbread may be ready after 12 minutes in a fan assisted oven.
- Enjoy 🙂
Nice simple recipe and method to follow, I’ve gotta admit I didn’t follow the measurements when adding the ingredients, I added 2 eggs instead of 1 because I used a lot of flour and I added a lot more ginger than I think I should have.
I got my cutters from home sense, I got 2 different packs, the first one containing a Christmas tree, Santa, a sleigh and a boot. The second pack containing a gingerbread man and woman, a gingerbread house and a candy cane, they both cost between £2.49-£2.99.
Another nice and simple blog post tonight but I hope you guys enjoyed it and if you try this recipe I’d love to see your cookies.